Dress on its own = dress
blouse worn on top = skirt
Dress with jacket = suit
I made a matching belt, using two leftover buttons as a buckle. Just measure your waist and add a few inches for overlap: cut some interfacing to size to stabilise the fabric; mark buttonhole placement so that you can breathe comfortably: make button holes and sew on buttons.
Dress with shirt underneath = pinafore
Isn't that brilliant?
The pattern for the dress is Vogue Vintage V1137 (and as I write this Vogue are having a 48 hour $4.99 sale on all vintage patterns). This is the dress that goes with the opera coat.
No real major alterations done except that I lined the whole dress whereas the pattern only calls for the bodice to be lined. Seemed a bit silly to me to line half a dress. I didn't add the pockets.
There's a pretty little V at the back too but the shoulders do lie right on the edge of the natural shoulder and so ribbons to hold bra straps may be in order. Because the tweedy-boucle fabric was a bit bulky I sewed the zip in by hand. It's not invisible, but then the pattern doesn't call for an invisible zip - it being 1950 and all that.
SWAP '13 item number 2 from Audrey completed.