So it should come as no surprise that I've been thinking about making a summer raincoat.
I have exacting demands:
- Not a traditional trench - don't want epaulettes and buttons and buttonholes - too fussy for what I have in mind
- Must have one piece fronts and backs - no waist seams
- Semi-fitted - not swinging like the 1950s or maternity wear but loose enough to close without having to suck it in
- No Belts - sway back girls like me don't suit belted coats, we are forever adjusting the gathers and pleats at the back.
- Buttons are OK but not a million of them
- Double breasted - maybe
- Pockets - without a doubt
- Preferably just above knee length
- Lined in a fancy quilters cotton type of colourful fabric
- No zips - I have enough trouble putting in a 7" skirt zip let alone a 22" or longer coat one
And this is where you, dear readers, come in. I've done some research, searched the world, and found some designs I'd like your opinions on, furthermore I warmly welcome any suggestions of patterns that meet the above criteria.
First Burda downloadable. Problem here is the printing and tiling and adding seam allowances and so on and so on yawn......
1. The dreaded waist seams but maybe I could patch the pattern pieces together?
3. Eurofashionweb Also downloadable, would have to lengthen this and I'm concerned the back pleat will be too swingy.
Then I found a German site simply called Pattern Company. Absolutely gorgeous stuff, all the usual and some really unusual pieces too. I'm guessing the instructions will be in German though.
4. I know it's belted but if left off do you think the coat moves into swingy mode?
6. Stunning, but as a raincoat?
7. Nearly there, but the belt is built in....and it's raglan sleeves so no easing required - yippee! Need to lengthen
A Danish company called Onion
8. Fairly traditional rain coat style, but the instructions are in Danish and that's a tad more difficult than German
9. This one has a tie at one side so I'm not too sure what it would look like open.
My usual - Vogue
10. Sandra Bettzina - Kimono sleeves but lots of darts.
Lots and lots to choose from and maybe some others I haven't even found yet. However, I have failed to mention one thing..... I should be doing this......
No room for sewing for the next few weeks. Ah well, by the time this lot is marked and sent away I'll have my raincoat fabric, pattern and sewing room back - and then, only then, will the sun be shining!
Thanks for reading. Ruth