These two were made for each other and there's only 62 years separating them. The skirt from Vogue DK 1324 circa 2012 and the opera coat, also from Vogue vintage 1950. Perhaps the longest 6PAC to complete ever!
I made the skirt previously in leather so I knew what the pitfalls and hazards were, however, sewing it up in a wool woven was so much easier.
First up, the lining is an integral part of the skirt: it is sewn to the middle waistband and then turned to the inside. I also caught my lining into the back split. I couldn't quite make heads nor tails of the instructions for that part so I just went with what worked.
Trickiest bit - the side waistbands! Yet another of my pet hates and things I'm miserable at - sewing into a point, pivot, and sew. I just cannot do this with a machine so I either resort to hand stitching or working out an alternative construction method. As every seam on the skirt is top stitched (even the darts) I used this as my alternative method - folded in the seam allowances and topstitched to the skirt; similar technique to the Issey Miyake shirt collar but used the machine instead of hand stitching.
The skirt has triangular side panels rather than side seams and these create interest and shape. I find them to be somewhat slimming and flattering but that might just be wishful thinking and my rose tinted glasses.
This is a better picture for the actual colours of the fabric - it is duck-egg blue and taupe in wiggly, zig-zaggy lines.
Next thing to keep your eye on is the invisible zip closure at centre back - match those waistbands on either side as the zip extends all the way to the top. Mine went in twice!
The matching coat is fabulous - not my particular making of - but the style and wearability is just excellent. The pattern is for a reversible coat, patch pockets, 3/4 length kimono sleeves, stand up collar and huge cuffs. I did search for a suitable matching/coordinating fabric with which to make the reverse but came up empty. I couldn't take a chance on internet shopping because of colour matching. I went ahead and made the coat in an unlined version.
The fabric frays like mad and the seams would be on show without a lining, so I flat felled them all, like in a man's shirt.
The top stitching on the coat now reflects the topstitching on the skirt! The coat is loose and swingy - no buttons or closures - but you could add them. For the front facings I used the interfacing pattern piece and slip stitched the collar over the raw edges.
If you have been waiting on pics of the leather pants, I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little longer. My sewing machine isn't playing so most of the stitching is now being done by hand. If they ever get finished and don't fall apart on first fitting it will be a miracle. Could well be made into a bag yet......