Meanwhile back at the ranch the German adventure in dressmaking has been continuing with The Safari Skirt.
Since starting this sewing blog I'm finding that I "name" all my garments - do you? I've no idea why I call this Safari maybe the colour of the brushed cotton reminds me of sand, or perhaps the semi-utilitarian style.
The fabric was ordered with the intention of making a pair of jeans (yes, another pair) but when it arrived it made its way directly to this pattern and I didn't argue.
Another good thing about the Pattern Company is that they sell the hardware that they use to make the clothes - so I ordered the waist clasp, the tie ends and the tie holders; just like the photo.
Well, my translation didn't quite match up with the instructions as there is a rather glaring difference between what the skirt is supposed to look like and what mine turned out as.
The clasp at the waist pulls together the front and back, creating a bunched up gathered effect - mine is without this. I just couldn't get my head around how to attach the straps and keep the skirt loose. So I went for the 'fitted' look. It's quite neat that the back strap is sewn into the back dart. The front still falls into a pleat though almost like a wrap around.
In keeping with the hardware on show on the skirt I put in a semi-exposed jeans zip at the back. What an excuse for poor zip insertion!
Right I'm off hunting.... Ruth